The Most Searched 2000s Rom-Com in Each State
Last Updated on February 2, 2022 by Zoi Walker
Some of the best rom-coms of the 2000s—especially the early 2000s—still sneak into pop culture today. Just last November, Ariana Grande wore Jennifer Garner’s 13 Going on 30 dress on the set of The Voice, and the third installment of Legally Blonde premieres later this year.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, new rom-coms are about to hit theaters—but you always have the option to curl up with a nostalgic 2000s rom-com on TV instead. Will you be watching the same one your state’s been googling all year?
- Serendipity is the most popular 2000s rom-com nationwide, with 18 states googling it most last year. Those states included New Jersey and California, two of the states where the movie was filmed.
- Although 13 Going on 30 tied with Sweet Home Alabama for the lowest IMDb score on our list at 6.2/10, it’s the most searched movie in 7 states.
- The film became one of the five most-rented DVDs in 2004 when it was released.
- The soundtrack also charted in the top 50 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- The Holiday topped the search results in 6 states. The film, which has been called a modern Christmas classic, has won two awards: the International Film Music Critics Award and the Teen Choice Awards.
- Love Actually is the most searched rom-com in 5 states.
- The London-based Christmas film has the highest IMDb score of any movie on our list, at 7.6/10.
- The film was nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture and won 10 awards including the 2004 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award.
- Although Enchanted is by far the highest grossing film on our list, earning $340 million at the box office, it was only searched most in New York, where the film takes place.
- Good news for Enchanted fans—a sequel called Disenchanted premieres on Disney+ in the fall of 2022.
First, we compiled a list of the 70 most popular 2000s rom-coms based on data gathered from IMDb, Cosmopolitan, ScreenRant, and Ranker, limiting our results to films with an IMDb score of 6.2/10 or higher.
We then collected each movie’s search volume in SEMrush, narrowed the list to the top 11, and used Google Trends to find the movie each state googled most in the past 12 months.
CenturyLinkQuote is an authorized sales agent of CenturyLink products. For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|State||Most Searched 2000s Rom-Com|
|Alabama||Sweet Home Alabama|
|Illinois||13 Going on 30|
|Indiana||Sweet Home Alabama|
|Kansas||Sweet Home Alabama|
|Kentucky||13 Going on 30|
|Nevada||13 Going on 30|
|New Hampshire||The Holiday|
|New Mexico||13 Going on 30|
|North Carolina||The Holiday|
|North Dakota||13 Going on 30|
|South Carolina||The Holiday|
|South Dakota||The Holiday|
|Texas||13 Going on 30|
|Utah||The Princess Diaries|
|West Virginia||Sweet Home Alabama|
|Wisconsin||13 Going on 30|
|Wyoming||How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days|