Each state’s most searched ’90s Christmas movie in 2022
Last Updated on February 2, 2023 by Zoi Walker
- Most searched ’90s Christmas movies by state [Map]
- Interesting findings
- Most searched ’90s Christmas movie by state [Table]
Every holiday season, TV studios and internet streaming platforms release a sleigh-full of new Christmas movies. But the films with wider theatrical releases, designed to make the creators millions at the box office, tend to stay in the public eye for decades afterward.
We might be biased, but the ’90s turned out some truly enduring Christmas classics that our team returns to over and over. And we bet your family does too.
Below, please enjoy our second annual report on some of the best ’90s Christmas movies in America and which states searched them most in the last 12 months. If you’re up for it, vote in our poll too—our report next year just might include your answers.
Most searched ’90s Christmas movies by state [Map]
- This year, the ’90s Christmas classic The Santa Clause ranks first on our list, with 12 states googling it most. In last year’s report, it ranked third.
- The sequel Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, ranks second with 10 states googling it most—a huge jump from last year, when only one state searched it most.
- This year, the sequel beat both Home Alone and Home Alone 3, which rank sixth and tenth respectively.
- Macaulay Culkin made $4.5 million for his portrayal of Kevin McAllister, earning the biggest salary of any 11-year-old child actor at the time.
- For the second year in a row, Illinois researched the original Home Alone more than any other ’90s Christmas movie.
- Even though the movie premiered 32 years ago, the McAllisters’ iconic brick home in the Chicago suburb of Winnetka remains a popular tourist attraction.
- Last year, Home Alone was the most common response to our poll about which movies our readers would watch that season. The movie took 25% of the total vote and beat out 12 other titles for the honor.
- Jingle All the Way, featuring ’90s icons Schwarzenegger and Sinbad, hovers at a respectable middle ground with 7 states googling it most. Last year, it had the attention of 9 states.
- Christmas themes and narratives are adapted again and again, as evidenced by three titles on our list: the Nutcracker, Silent Night, and Home for the Holidays each has a long IMDb list of TV shows, short films, and theatrical releases under the same name.
- Two highly popular remakes also made our list: Miracle on 34th Street (1994) and Christmas in Connecticut (1992).
- The original Miracle on 34th Street premiered in 1947 and starred Natalie Wood as the skeptical 6-year-old Susan Walker.
- The 1994 remake starred Mara Wilson of Mrs. Doubtfire fame.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas, the most critically acclaimed movie on our list, has a 95% score on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s also the 4th most searched Christmas movie by state.
- Mixed Nuts, on the other hand, has the lowest critical score on our list with a 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was searched most by just one state this year—perhaps West Virginians have a soft spot for Steve Martin and Nora Ephron.
First, we gathered a list of 60 Christmas movies from the 1990s by referencing publications including ScreenRant, Ranker, Bustle, and PopSugar. We then used Semrush to determine which 15 movies had the most overall search volume. Finally, we plugged those 15 titles into Google Trends and ranked them by state search volume in the last 12 months.
CenturyLinkQuote is an authorized sales agent of Centurylink products.
For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Most searched ’90s Christmas movie by state [Table]
|State||'90s Christmas Movie|
|Alabama||The Santa Clause|
|Alaska||Miracle on 34th Street (1994)|
|Arizona||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|Arkansas||The Santa Clause|
|California||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|Colorado||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|Connecticut||Christmas in Connecticut (1992)|
|District of Columbia||The Nutcracker|
|Florida||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|Georgia||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|Hawaii||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|Idaho||The Santa Clause|
|Indiana||The Santa Clause|
|Kansas||The Santa Clause|
|Kentucky||The Santa Clause|
|Louisiana||Home for the Holidays|
|Maine||Jingle All the Way|
|Maryland||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|Michigan||The Santa Clause|
|Minnesota||Jingle All the Way|
|Mississippi||The Santa Clause|
|Missouri||The Santa Clause|
|Nebraska||Jingle All the Way|
|Nevada||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|New Hampshire||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|New Jersey||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|New Mexico||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|New York||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|North Carolina||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|North Dakota||Silent Night|
|Ohio||Home for the Holidays|
|Oklahoma||Jingle All the Way|
|Oregon||Jingle All the Way|
|Pennsylvania||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|Rhode Island||Olive, the Other Reindeer|
|South Carolina||The Santa Clause|
|South Dakota||Jingle All the Way|
|Tennessee||The Santa Clause|
|Texas||The Nightmare Before Christmas|
|Utah||The Santa Clause|
|Vermont||While You Were Sleeping|
|Virginia||Home Alone 2: Lost in New York|
|West Virginia||Mixed Nuts|
|Wisconsin||Jingle All the Way|
|Wyoming||Home Alone 3|